Friday, September 7, 2012

Another sales pitch


Here  are few reasons to go to eBay right now and buy yourself a piece of Jerry's Map:

1. The Ukrainia panel pictured above is now being offered at the buy-it-now price of $13.96. The last Ukrainia panel went, at auction, for $51! So, this one is a steal.

2. If you've already bought one or more panels you can check to see if any contiguous ones are available. By buying them or those you can begin to construct your own copy of Jerry's Map.

3. Maybe you just like the graphics and would like to have a piece on your wall. You can go to any craft store and get a mat and frame (11 by 14") for under $15. For 25 or so it can be on your wall in just a few days.

4. Or maybe you just think the whole project is cool and want to show your support by contributing. It's almost like Kickstarter but without Kickstarter. Every couple of prints sold buys me a new ink cartridge. And every sale gives me the ego food it takes to keep slugging away at this endless endeavor.

5. It might be a viable investment. Who knows? The print you buy today may be worth more in the future.

6 comments:

  1. I followed a link on facebook to Vimeo, From Vimeo I came here.I couldn't just lurk I had to say hello. "Hello" The film about your map made me smile. I love it. Thank you. cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jerry. I love the work. Very inspiring, however I think I would lack the dedication that you show.

    I do have a couple of questions. Do you have the panel that started the map, even one of its more recent generations? Is it still part of the map and what has it become? Do you have a comparison of the first generation and now?

    I was also wondering if it was feasible to post what happened to the map each day. Many people, myself included, are interested in knowing all the cards and getting more detailed rules. Perhaps a good way to go about that, without sitting down to write about all the cards in one go, would be to say which card you drew and what it meant for the map that day.

    Thank you for this amazing project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughtful comments, Thomas!

      Here are the answers to your questions:

      Yes, there is a first panel, and it has been reworked many times. I don't remember how many versions I still have- possibly only two. I will try to post them here when I get back to my studio.

      I love your idea of my posting what happens each day! That may not be very feasible, but I will give it a shot (also when I get back to work).

      Delete
    2. Thank you for replying. I also noticed there seems to be numbers scattered around the map as if to mark buildings. Would you mind elaborating on that?

      Delete
    3. Those tiny numbers are relative dates. In the early years of the Map the dates were related to the rate of population growth, one percent per year. Now they are arbitrary and only indicate sequences of events. I keep a table of corresponding real-time dates.

      Delete